STL Youth Jobs is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization connecting youth ages 16-24 with local employers for a summer job. STL Youth Jobs’ mission is to bridge the divide between our region’s youth and the growing skills gap in our workforce. The organization was founded on a cross-sector collaborative effort of philanthropic organizations, civic leaders, corporations, and community leaders who are passionate about creating opportunities for youth and growing the economic prosperity of our region. STL Youth Jobs utilizes its strategic partnerships to provide youth services and programming from vendors such as MERS Goodwill, St. Louis Internship Program (SLIP), and St. Louis Agency on Training and Employment (SLATE). Since 2013, STL Youth Jobs has provided nearly 4,000 youth with paid work experiences, job readiness and financial literacy training, and career and mentoring services.
The following positions are available with STL Youth Jobs:
2 Practicum Opportunities (for MSW graduate and BSW undergraduate students)
- Micro, foundation level, nonprofit program (MSW & BSW)
STL Youth Jobs will be providing practicum opportunities to students interested in working in direct practice with youth, community development and resourcing, program development, and more. Hours are flexible and can be adjusted to fit the needs of the students. Depending on availability and length of practicum, the student may be eligible for hourly pay as a staff person. This position is based out of the MERS Goodwill office in downtown St. Louis working under supervision by an MSW and with program staff.
Student’s duties can range from, but are not limited to:
Working with current clients toward goals, including:
- Employment-assistance with resume building, interviewing skills, job searching, etc.
- Education-assisting youth with getting to the next step on their educational journey.
- Facilitating group job training sessions with youth.
- Follow up with clients to gather post program data.
- Completing intakes/career assessments
- Matching youth with appropriate employers
- Case management to program participants
- Social media outreach with alumni
- Working with the STL Youth Jobs Director of Programs to make evidenced based improvements to the existing program model.
- Researching best practices of other youth programs and identifying ways to weave them into the current model.
- Develop training that introduces youth to growing fields in St. Louis.
- Create packet of resources for the youth (Job readiness tips, job search techniques, employment centers, etc.)
- Opportunities to attend meetings with the steering committee and development team to gain insights into the program.
- Connecting with various youth serving organizations to inform the community about program updates, applications, etc.